Two Sites to See by Car

Before North Webster was a densely settled African-American neighborhood, there was a small settlement to the south and west located on Shady Avenue (now Kirkham). On your way to start the walking tour, stop and look at these two important historic sites from that community.

511 North Elm Avenue

Blackwell Chapel AME Zion Church (c.1916)

142 Euclid Avenue

North Webster Coalition House (1996)

Rock Hill City Limits

The Webster Heights subdivision (platted in 1892) stretches three blocks west from Bell and covers Euclid, Eldridge, Madison, and the south half of Lithia Street. This is the only section of the neighborhood that is laid out like a grid with right angles, Before 1960, the City of Rock Hill had annexed the western two blocks of Webster Heights - blocks that had been traditionally white. Webster Groves later annexed the eastern block (between  Bell and Plateau). In the years after 1950, the black population of North Webster began to extend west of Plateau.

609 North Elm Avenue

The Charles and Alby Thomas House (site)

709 North Elm Avenue (c.1923)

The Herbert and Lorraine Davis House

808 North Elm Avenue

The Benny and Lorraine Gordon House (1946)

812 North Elm Avenue

The Eugene and Georgia Crockett House (1928)

Waymire and North Elm Avenue

Dixon's Grocery Store and Gas Station (site)

3185 S. Brentwood Boulevard (c.1935)

Dr. Reynolds and Dr. Rusan's Office

3201-3229 S. Brentwood Boulevard

Kirkham Square (c.1966)

3239 S. Brentwood Boulevard

Masonic Lodge of North Webster (1950)

South side of Ravine between Holland and Cornell

Site of Douglas High School

627 Cornell Avenue

The Unity United Methodist Church (1979)

Thank you for taking a walk through Webster Groves history.

The Historic Webster Walk is a joint project of the North Webster Neighborhood Coalition, the Webster Groves Historical Society, and the City of Webster Groves. A full history of the North Webster neighborhood can be found in "North Webster: A Photographic History of a Black Community" by Ann Morris and Henrietta Ambrose. The contributors to this Webster History Walk are deeply indebted to this work's intensive scholarship.

Support for the North Webster History Walk was received from Lee Moss Hair Salon and Yandell Funeral Chapel to help make this walk a reality for the citizens fo Webster Groves and visitors for many years to come.

The Webster Walk Series Founded by Kathy Weyhrich and Greg Falk
The North Webster Walk Brochure written and edited by the North Webster Walking Tour Brochure Committee: Louis H. Davis, Jr., Kathryn DeHart, Toni Hunt, Ed Johnson, Lynn Josse, and Jean Tarkington.
Designed by Laura Burns of DesignLab, Inc,. and Red Rock Communications, Inc.
Website, Photography and Narration by Bill Wichman

Copyright 2017